The other day I woke up and knew I had to make homemade pop tarts, the timing of it wasn’t super great since I woke up at 9 and had to be somewhere by 10:30…but alas I knew I wanted to make them so it had to happen. Thankfully the hardest part is rolling out the dough, and the effort was well worth the end result. Take this format to remake your favorite flavors with your own twist, either way, your brunch game is going to be elevated!
- 2 cups of flour +extra for rolling
- 12 tablespoons butter
- 8 tablespoons water
- 2 pinches salt
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1 teaspoon flour, 1 tablespoon apple sauce
- raspberry jam
- chocolate chips and marshmallow
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar with orange zest and 1/4 teaspoon water
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar with cinnamon and brown sugar 1/4 teaspoon water
- Begin by making the dough. This is a basic pie dough and it is most vital to have very cold butter and cold water. I use a food processor to combine everything and pulse the butter into pea size pieces.
- Pour onto a surface and form into a loose ball. Use your palm to flatten parts of the dough ball, spreading out the butter. This will make the flakiest crust. Once you get all the butter spread, form into a loose ball and place into a freezer for at least 20 minutes.
- Roll out to 1/4 inch, then cut into a square and cut into additional 2×2 inch squares.
- Roll these into long rectangles as thin as possible and place on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Once you have all of these laid out, fill half with whatever filling you choose. Then fold over into a small pocket and seal each side with a fork.
- Throw on a quick egg wash and bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let cool slightly before putting on the icing. Eat and enjoy!