So this was another recipe of opportunity. When I walked into Market Basket I knew, for some random reason, I wanted to buy ricotta and then walking through the produce I saw a large eggplant for less than a dollar! Im telling you that the “dying” produce section is your BEST FRIEND. You can find great deals and if you know how to use what they offer you can save a lot of money not to mention amazing dinners! This meal is relatively on the easy side and has so much flavor. It is something you can make for dinner one night and eat the rest of the week. Also this is GLUTEN FREE!! For those looking for that option!
- eggplant (peel it, slice it in half the long way then in 1/2 inch thick strips)
- fresh tomatoes, or sauce, personal preference
- shredded mozzarella
- salt and pepper
- you are going to want to cook your eggplant, fully cook, I fried mine but you can bake it or whatever you want to do.
- then in a casserole dish you are going to lay down your eggplant to layer the bottom. Then scatter some tomatoes around as well as dollops of ricotta then a thin layer of cheese
- now add your basil and garlic and do the layering again
- layer as much as you want, and top it with cheese
- then you are going to bake it at 350 until the cheese is deliciously bubbling, about 20 minutes.
- then EAT IT!!