I have recently hit 10,000 views; a GIANT shout out to all of you for making this milestone a reality! This recipe is a celebration of your support! And what better way to celebrate 10,000 views than with a new culinary challenge? Here’s my take on a classic Mexican dish, tacos, with homemade pork butt, refried beans, and brussel sprout slaw.
Ingredients (Pork Butt):
- 1.5 pound pork butt
- 3/4 can Guarana (it’s a Brazilian soda; Sprite is appropriate alternative)
- 1 chopped small onion
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder or 3/4 garlic gloves
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- salt and pepper
How to (Pork Butt):
- Sear all the sides of pork butt to cultivate a rich flavor.
- In a crock pot, put in onions and meat. Add in the soda and spices.
- Cook on high for 5 hours then low for 3 (or low for 8, or high for 6)
- When the meat shreds easily, and its done.
Ingredients (Refried Beans):
- 1 can black beans
- 1 cup “butt stock”
- 1 bay leaf
How To (Refried beans):
- Take about a cup of liquid from the pulled pork.
- Pour the liquid into a pan, then add in black beans and bay leaf.
- Cook on a low simmer until most of the liquid is gone, then puree this in a blender or food processor.
How To (Brussel Sprouts Slaw):
- Shred 3-4 brussel sprouts
- Add the juice of 1 lime, some salt and pepper, and a pinch of garlic powder.
NOW, for the tacos!!
- Bake the corn tortillas for 10 minutes in the oven until crisp.
- Pile on beans, meat, avocado, slaw, and fresh cilantro.
- If you’re looking for a kick, drizzle with hot sauce.