My Grandma is a woman of many talents. One of the best things she makes is eggplant meatballs. This dish is perfect for vegetarian Italians because it has all the flavors of a traditional meatball, without the meat. I’ve decided to go one step further and make my eggplant meatballs gluten-free.
- 1 medium eggplant
- 1 egg
- 1 cup mashed potato flakes (flavorless)
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 3 mashed garlic cloves
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Slice the eggplant in half length-wise. Salt and pepper the flesh side, and place flesh side down on well-oiled pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Flip over and bake another 30 minutes, until tender.
- Let cool. Peel the eggplants and place them in a strainer. Place a plate or pan underneath the strainer to collect the liquid.
- Push on the eggplant to drain excess liquid. Place a bowl or plate on top of the strainer with something to weigh it down and let it drain for 30 minutes. Eggplant should be as dry as possible.
- Run the dry eggplant through a food processor or chop it up by hand.
- In mixing bowl, combine with egg, potato flakes, spices and garlic.
- Form small balls and place on a well oiled pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes, flip and bake another 15-20 minutes on the other size. They will be golden brown and firm.