Let me begin by saying Merry Christmas Eve and hopefully you had a happy Hanukah! Over the next two days my house is going to be filled with family and food. Tonight we celebrate with our feast of seven fishes (recipes and pictures to come). Tomorrow we will have our traditional Christmas dinner, with fresh pasta and Christmas Pudding, just to name a few highlights. Although all of these celebrations have an insane amount of food, there is a certain snack food that needs to be put out every year. Chex Mix! Once you try homemade chex mix you will never again reached for the bagged stuff. You can add in what you like and customize it so it is your ideal snack food. It is an easy recipe and leaves your whole house smelling delicious. Make this for your next party and enjoy the holiday cheer!’
My family has a saying “eat what ya like”, and the only parts I like are the chex cereal itself. As a matter of fact I pick out only that part and leave the rest for other people. So the chex mix I made today just has the cereal in it, but I going to suggest a few more additives that you can add in for your family, or add in whatever your heart desires!
One other thing, did I mention this snack can be made totally gluten free and vegan?! Yeah, its the perfect snack!
- 3 cups rice chex cereal
- 3 cups corn chex cereal
- 1 cup pretzels
- 1 cup fritos
- 1/2 cup peanuts
- 4 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 stick margarine (or butter)
- Set the oven to 250.
- Begin by melting the margarine in the microwave and then adding in the worcestershire and spices. Stir that up.
- In a big roasting pan, pour in all your cereal and other add ins.
- Pour the margarine mixture over the top of all the cereal and stir.
- Place into the oven for 1 hour. Every 15 minutes stir the mixture making sure what was on the bottom is now on the top.
- If the mixture still looks very soggy, cook for another 15 minutes.
- Then lay out on paper towels until it has cooled.
- Then eat immediately before anyone else can have some and then say you burnt it and threw it away (I’ll keep your secret 😉 )