So I want to start this off right with a SUPER big shout out to my big, Hayley, when she served me this delicious take on jalapeño poppers I knew it would soon become one of my favorite things and she would soon become one of my favorite people :D. And I was right about both, I have been dreaming about these things since I had them so when I saw jalapeños at hay market I knew I had to buy them. I took her appetizer and turned it into a more filling dinner. This is the recipe to use for up coming Super Bowl or for times to come for a quick dinner. Also if you love Chile Rellenos like I do try this recipe, it is maybe not just as good but pretty close!
For the Jalapeños:
- fresh jalapeños, whole
- cream cheese
- cheese (I used shredded cheddar and colby jack)
- refried beans, optional (this will make a more filling dinner)
- wash the jalapeños. then slice off the tops and slice them in half down the center.
- using a spoon scooped out the seeds and veins
- place them in a boiling pot of water and cook for about 10- 15 minutes, until tender, if you want them more spicy, cook them less, less spicy, cook them longer. (I cooked them for about 13 minutes and they aren’t spicy at all)
- make a mixture of cream cheese and the shredded cheese. Then place your cooked halved jalapeños on a lightly greased pan and fill them with the cream cheese mixture.
- if you use the refried beans you can use less or none of the cream cheese the beans already have a smooth creamy texture so I just put a put some shredded cheese on top.
- then in a 375 oven cook until the cheese is melty and bubbly about 10 minutes.
- then eat while hot! these are so fabulously good, you will not be disappointed!!
For the black beans and rice:
- black beans
- dried garlic and onion
- chile powder
- In a sauce pan place the black beans then give a heavy dash of cumin and chile powder and let cook for a few minutes on medium
- then add the minced garlic and onion and continue to cook for a few minutes
- after a few minutes squeeze some fresh lime and add a splash of water, then add the cooked rice. You want to add the water before you put in the rice because other wise the rice will just get crunchy and dry.
- let this all cook together for a bit and bam! protein packed side and perfect to eat with the jalapeños!