Okay so this is my version of shepherds pie, now Ive never actually had shepherds pie or made it so, this is just my interpretation. But like its meat, its mashed potatoes, nothing could go wrong! Right? RIGHT! So you can do this too! I made enough for 3 meals for basically pennies! Its something completely new and you should try it too!
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 white onion
- can of peas (or frozen)
- bay leaf
- mashed potatoes (puff and fluff is what I used)
- french onion soup mix
- Begin with your meat. In a fry pan heat up some oil and begin cooking your onions. You want to do this low and slow adding some salt and pepper as they cook. Add a bay leaf or two into this as you cook as well as your garlic. You want the onions to get nice and translucent before adding the meat.
- Once they are at this point, add in the meat and try to break it up so its in tiny pieces. Now your going to add a touch of ketchup, just a bit, this gives some color to the meat. Your also going to add more salt and pepper and throughout the cooking process. Add just a TOUCH of cumin, this is to bring a earthiness to the meat.
- Then once the meat is about half way cooked sprinkle the french onion soup mix on top, using less than half of the packet.
- Your then going to add a splash of water, bit of butter, and another splash of milk and let this cook.
- Once the milk and water is cooked out add in your drained peas and continue to cook for at least 10 minutes.
- letting the meat get nice and brown on each side.
- now start working on your mashed potatoes, I just used puff and fluff so no effort was needed. I did add parmesan to it though just to add more flavor.
- then in a oven safe pan (I used individual class ramekins ) layer in the meat and then the potatoes and place in a 350 oven just to let everything meld together. You dont have to do this step until you want to eat it if you choose!!
- And thats it! Its so easy and a quick dinner!