Your life is a series of memories, and my parents work so hard to create amazing lasting memories for me. Although I am admittedly a grinch, Christmas Eve is one of my favorite days for the giant feast we put together and the Christmas Pudding we serve on Christmas Day is something I dream about all year long. Strong memories can be associated with smell, one waft and you are transported to that wonderful time. Although each Christmas may be a little different, once we start cooking the smells bring me back to all the wonderful times before it. I hope you had a wonderful Holiday with your family and friends and enjoy looking at what the Ferrara’s feasted on this holiday season.
For Christmas Eve we had the traditional Italian Feast of Seven Fishes. This is what our menu consisted of:
- Appetizers: Drinks, cheese, and chex mix
- Stuffed mushrooms (seafood stuffing)
- Spinach Bread
- Zeppoles (fried bread with anchovies and crushed red pepper)
- Antipasto Salad: pickled eggplant, roasted red pepper, marinated mushrooms, veggies, and olive salad
- Fried Smelts
- Fried Shrimp
- Homemade French Fries
- Fried Calamari
- Pasta Course: Crab and Marinara Sauce
- Dessert: thumbprint cookies, pizzelles, vegan cookies, cherry and walnut pound cake, rum raisin sauce (VERY good), almond cookies, ice cream
As if that wasn’t enough to last us the next three days, we had another feast the next day on Christmas Day
Christmas Day was hosted at my wonderful Aunts house. The highlights were the appetizers, prime rib, and Christmas pudding, just to name a few!
- Appetizers: Baked Brie Eggrolls, stuffed celery, stuffed mushrooms, white bean and olive dip, cheese platter with fruit, antipasto, homemade nuts
- First course: Caesar salad and pasta with red sauce
- Main Event: Prime rib, roasted beets, roasted veggies (carrots, onions, parsnips), roasted potatoes, brussel sprouts, broccoli
- Dessert: Christmas pudding with hard sauce, homemade cannolis, cookies (14 different kinds), German Cake, Panettone bread
We are all still full, and have leftovers for at least 3 weeks! Recipes to come for some of the dishes!