Recently I have learned how to make steak at home, and now I treat myself to lovely steak dinners sometimes. Well today was a lovely steak lunch. Most people think that during their busy weeks they don’t have time to eat much more than a sandwich for lunch, well you are wrong my friends. You do have time! Because it doesn’t need to be such a song and dance to make things, plus you can make it once and then reheat it later on in the week. This is a 3 for 1 recipe of what to make for the perfect BBQ meal.
- 1 sweet potato
- 2 sirloin steak tips
- BBQ sauce
- Dash steak sauce
- Rainbow Chard
- 1/4 white onion
- 2 gloves chopped garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon chicken base
- 1 tablespoon oil
How to: STEAK
- You want to begin by marinating your steak in the BBQ and steak sauce. About 20 minutes should be sufficient.
- Then in a cast iron skillet with ridges get it to a screaming hot temperature. (Open the windows because this will make it smoke up), and set your oven to 400.
- Once you skillet is hot, add in your steak. Cook on each side for 2-4 minutes. If you can pull the steak away from the pan easily, it is ready to turn, if you cant, let it cook until you can.
- Once all 4 sides have char marks, place into the oven and cook for 5-10 more minutes.
- This is the trick to seeing how cooked your meat is. Feel your cheek, that is what rare meat will feel like. Now your chin, thats about medium. Then your forehead is well done. These are the general guidelines to telling.
- After the few minutes in the oven, it should be all set and ready to enjoy!
How to: Steak Fries
- Steak fries are so easy but so delicious, especially if they are sweet potato ones.
- Begin by washing your sweet potato really well, seeing as we wont be peeling it you want to make sure it is extra clean.
- Then slice it in half the long way. Then slice through the long way again. The fries should be about 1/2 cm thick.
- I lay down foil on the pan I am cooking with to make cleanup extra easy but you do you.
- Then pour the oil over the fries, making sure they are all coated, you can also use pan spray for this, which would be less fat.
- Then salt them and throw them in a 400 oven for 30-40 minutes, flipping in the middle. Until they are beautifully golden.
How to: Rainbow Chard (or any other green could be replaced here)
- Begin by sautéing the garlic and onion in a pan with a little bit of oil, once the onions are translucent pour in 1/4 cup of water and 1/2 teaspoon chicken base.
- Then add in your chard.
- Cook this for 10-15 minutes until the chard is wilted and some of the water is gone.
- Serve and enjoy!
A restaurant quality meal for half the price and all in the comfort of your own home, the only thing that sucks about home cooking is the dishes.