Now, I strongly believe that sometimes you need to just eat the cupcake or brownie or whatever full fat baked good you want. Because life is way too short not to. That being said, sometimes you want that treat without the trick of all the calories and sugar. This recipe is for those times, when you want the sweet without completely ruin your diet plan for the day. Oh best part? They taste good. Like actually taste good, cause we all know sometimes healthy things you have to grit your teeth to get through. So try these 70 calorie, yes 70 calorie, cinnamon roll for breakfast today.
Oh I forgot to mention, this recipe could be made completely vegan! YAY
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 4 tablespoons apple sauce (or butter)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup coconut milk (almond or regular would suffice)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon melted butter (or butter substitute)
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- Begin by preheating your oven to 400.
- In a large bowl mix the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- You have to “cut” the applesauce in. Basically use a fork to incorporate the apple sauce until it is pea sized pieces in the flour.
- Let that sit for 10 minutes in a chilled environment.
- In another bowl mix 3 tablespoons sugar and the cinnamon and nutmeg.
- After 10 minutes, add the coconut milk, vinegar, 3 tablespoons sugar, and the vanilla. Stir until combined. But don’t overwork the dough.
- Let the dough rest (in a chilled environment) for another 10 minutes.
- My dough was very sticky so I had to add a bit more flour, which is okay. And if your dough is too dry add a bit more milk.
- On a floured surface, knead the dough a few times. Then roll out the dough to 1/4 inch thick rectangle. I used my hands, because I don’t own a rolling pin, but you can do what you prefer.
- Then brush the dough with the melted butter and sprinkle on your cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Roll the dough the long way. Then cut into 12 pieces.
- In a well sprayed pie plate, add in your cinnamon rolls. I don’t have a pie plate so I used a muffin tin and that worked great. Bake for 12 minutes until golden.
The Cream Cheese Maple Glaze:
- 1 tablespoon cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon coconut milk
- 1 splash vanilla
- 1 splash maple syrup
- Warm the cream cheese in the microwave for 10 seconds. Then whisk in all the other ingredients until well incorporated.
- Pour over your hot rolls.
- *warning* sometimes there can be clumps, thats okay!
DONE! Enjoy this healthy option for a great breakfast