Last night was the amazing event, Relay for Life. The event and my team motivated me to keep fighting for a world with more birthdays. And a very special birthday happened last night, my little’s. She gave her all to put on the event and I thought she deserved a sweet treat that had it all to celebrate. So happy birthday to you beautiful, I hope you enjoy your day. But lets continue being motivated by the moving actions of last night to strive for a world with more birthdays. Then we can eat more cupcakes.
What were eating: Mocha cupcakes filled with coconut dolce de leche and espresso liquor buttercream
For the cupcakes:
- 1 1/3 C flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter (one stick)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1 keurig k cup of coffee (whatever flavor)
- Begin by mixing the flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking soda together. Set this aside.
- In a different bowl, beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. About 2-3 minutes.
- On medium speed beat in one egg at a time. Mixing well between each addition.
- Add the vanilla and cinnamon.
- Before you continue, add 1 tablespoons of coffee grounds to hot water and let steep, this will be used in a later step.
- Slowly begin to add in half of the dry ingredients, and beat until just combined.
- Beat in the milk until just combined and then add in the other half of the dry ingredients.
- Add the hot water and coffee grounds and mix until just combined. Add another tablespoon of coffee grounds and mix gently in.
- The batter will be light and fluffy. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes.
- Let cool completely before filling or frosting.
Coconut Dolce De Leche
- 1/2 can Sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons shredded coconut
- In a sauce pan, melt the butter, then add in the sweetened condensed milk.
- Continue to cook on medium low heat until the mixture gets thick. Stirring continuously!
- Add the shredded coconut and once you can draw a spatula through the center of the pan and you can see the bottom for a few seconds, its done.
Espresso Liquor Buttercream Frosting:
- 2 sticks of butter, at room temp
- 3 1/2 C powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons espresso liquor
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Whip the butter until light and fluffy. Slowly add in the sugar cup by cup.
- Then add in the vanilla.
- Continue to whip, adding the heavy cream tablespoon by tablespoon.
- Then add in the liquor tablespoon by tablespoon.
- Thats it!
Its a lot, but for the girl who does everything, she needed everything 😀