When I was in Las Vegas a month ago, I had the priviledge and delight to eat in Gordon Ramsey’s Pub. When I was there I got short ribs with barley risotto and roasted root veggies. It was amazing, I still dream of it. And I vowed that I was going to recreate this risotto, and I have. It was my first time ever making risotto so there are still some tweaks I would have made, but honestly, it is delicious! One great thing is this recipe can be made healthy or a little unhealthy, up to you!
- 1 Cup Pearl Barley
- 1/2 cup wine (although I used 3/4 by mistake)
- 5 gloves garlic
- 1/2 white onion chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 cups chicken stock (or vegetable)
- 1 tablespoon cream (optional)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- In a deep walled non stick skillet, pour in the oil and set to medium heat.
- Once hot cook the onions and garlic slow until translucent and fragrant
- Add in the bay leaves, pepper, and thyme, cook for 1 minute.
- Add the barley and stir getting the barley glossy with the oil. Cook for 2 minutes
- Add in the wine and lemon juice and let simmer.
- Once the wine gets low, begin to add in the chicken stock, 2 ladles at a time.
- Once the stock is almost run out, add more, should take around 5-10 minutes.
- After 20 minutes of cooking, taste your risotto, the barley will have a bit of a bit, but I ended up having to add a bit more water to get it a little softer.
- Once the barley is at a desired tenderness and all the stock is gone, this is when you can add the cream and cook until a thick creamy sauce is formed, or you can skip this step, its delicious either way.
- I ate this with roasted onions and carrots that you can find the recipe for here. I also ate them with charred asparagus you can find here. And chicken nuggets because I am an adult and they are delicious.