If you have ever been to a really phenomenal mexican restaurant and have had homemade tortillas you understand my excitement when I found that making them was terribly easy, and extremely tasty. Yes, in reality, it doesn’t make much sense to make your own tortillas when buying them is so easy, BUT there is something about fresh hot ones that will change your life. So if on this vacation you decide you want something to do, or you have someone to impress, give this recipe a go. It won’t disappoint.
- vegetable oil
- 1 c water
- in a large bowl mix 3 cups of flour with 1/3 cup vegetable oil. Slowly mix it in, and with a fork begin to combine the two ingredients.
- then dissolve a teaspoon of salt into one cup of warm water.
- again, slowly add the water, continuously mixing, until a dough begins to form.
- this dough should have some elasticity to it. you most likely won’t use all of the water
- knead the dough for 3 minutes
- then let sit for 30 minutes (I’m impatient and didn’t wait the whole time… didn’t seem to have any affect on the dough)
- then pull some of the dough, making about a golf ball sized ball. Then with a rolling pin, roll out the ball into a circle (about a millimeter or two thick)
- then use a non stick skillet, and on medium heat just plop the tortilla on it.
- you will see it start to bubble and then you can flip, it doesn’t take very long to cook
- eat immediately or keep warm in the oven or wrapped in tin foil
- these make AMAZING tacos! definitely will not disappoint!