Breakfast is not my favorite meal, but we are working on our love hate relationship. I think I could like it better if I didn’t have to abandon sleep in order to have it. But alas, I love sleep, its precious to me, especially once the semester begins, so in the morning I wake up as late as possible and am out the door to class with no down time for breakfast. Thats where these bran bars come in handy. They are perfect for on the go breakfasts. Also these are cheaper and so much healthier then any granola bar you’d buy. Its gluten free and vegan and will keep you full for a long time. These are great to make at the beginning of the week and then eat all week long, also great for snacks!
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup toasted coconut
- 1/4 chopped dates
- 1 apple
- 3/4 cups oat bran
- 1/4 cup grits
- 1 cap-ful vanilla extract
- 1 cap-ful almond extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Begin by mashing up your bananas in a bowl, the riper the better.
- Then lightly toast your grits in a pan, just for a few minutes to bring out their flavor, do this with the bran as well. Then add to the bananas.
- Dice up the apples into small pieces, then sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Cook on medium/low to sweat the apples. Just until they get slightly tender. About 5-10 minutes. Then add to the banana mix.
- Add in the remaining fruit, nuts, extracts and remaining cinnamon. Mix well.
- Add to a lightly greased pan, a 9×9 glass pan is ideal, make sure the mixture is no more than a centimeter thick.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes, so edges are golden and center is firm.
- Let cool, slice and enjoy. Keep refrigerated or frozen until ready to eat.